Slots have transformed dramatically since they only existed in machine-format. Nowadays, there are thousands of slot games on online casino sites, with some clearly better than others. To help you find the best online slot games on top sites, we have compiled this special guide for your reference.
What Are the Best Online Slots UK?
There are too many online slot games to name here, but these clearly standout for their quality:
What Are the Rules of Playing Slots?
Generally speaking, the rules of slot games are pretty similar. Of course, there are slight differences in some areas:
- Line bets: The minimum and maximum values of line bet will differ from slot to slot. Also, some slots will have a coin system that requires you to select coin value plus quantity of coins to determine the value of each spin.
- Paylines: Another area of variation is the number of paylines present in the slot. Moreover, some slots will let you activate individual paylines while others require you to adjust in multiples of five. In the case of progressive slots, many of these will require you to play with all paylines activated.
- Wild symbols: The next rule to consider is how wild symbols work. For the most part, wild symbols substitute for all other symbols except for bonus symbols. However, there will be some slots that make an exception to this by substituting wild symbols for all other symbols.
Any Strategies or Tips I Can Use?
In the slots realm, there are several tips that standout above the rest of the crowd. Take a note of these and they will soon be helping you out:
- Practice for free: For the best online slots UK, a common feature among casino sites is that many operators allow for you to sample games free of charge, either through free slots no deposit options or with free spins. Playing free is a great way of familiarising yourself with how a new game works, including special features or quirks you are not familiar with.
- Make lower line bets: Tip number two is to avoid setting high line bets. Your chances of triggering a large payout are diminished when you have fewer spins. Therefore, your aim should be to increase your number of possible spins. Do not be afraid to set a low line value.
- Don’t get fixated: The third tip is to not become fixated with progressive jackpots. Your chances of winning progressive jackpots are significantly worse than winning on paylines. For instance, some progressive slots have no set way of winning the jackpot, and the only advice you get is to wager to try and win the pot.
- Start counting symbols: Count the number of different symbols in your slot game. After it loads, simply click on the paytable button (or equivalent) to reveal all of the possible symbols that can appear. Count how many symbols are present, because a higher quantity of symbols will make it tougher to match symbols on paylines.
- The number of symbols to look for: An ideal level is to have 12 different symbols. Some slot games have 16 symbols or more, and players do not even realise. The only way to balance out such a high number of symbols is for the slot to have more than 25 paylines. However, this is offset by having to cover lots of paylines.
- Look at the base game multipliers: If the base game multipliers struggle to come close to 500x, then you are playing a low variance slot in which the winnings are small yet quite frequent. This is fine if that is what you want to target, but high variance slots have larger multipliers that take time to trigger.
How to Make the Most Out of Your Online Slots Game?
When playing video slots, it all comes down to efficiency. If you can be more efficient with your funds and gameplay, then you are more likely to win. Here’s how it can be done:
Deposit bonuses get the most press in this business, but there are free alternatives where you can hold back your bankroll:
- Free-play: Some casinos will award a free-play offer where you receive credit to use in a set window of time.
- No deposit: These bonuses are smaller than free-play, but you often have the chance to clear the funds for withdrawal through wagering.
- Free spins: No deposit free spins are clearly defined spins and often awarded for certain slot games. Use them for the chance to score winnings.
A progressive jackpot can be an incredibly enticing sight, but there are positives and negatives to consider before diving in:
- The prize pool: Progressive jackpots continue to grow by drawing a share of every real-money bet that is staked. For the most part, you will never be able to play for a larger sum of money compared to standard slots.
- Exciting features: Progressive slot games typically have higher production values and there will be much more to enjoy alongside the jackpot.
- Random jackpots: It’s better to play for a jackpot that is won from a defined action. Randomly awarded jackpots dangle an imaginary carrot and often encourage players to improve their chances by wagering more.
- High wagering: Progressive slots are premium in nature, which means that it can often cost much more to play them.
What Do All the Slots Terms Mean?
For new players, there is always the first hurdle of having to understand the different terms. Well, this section helpfully outlines an A-Z glossary of the most common slots terms:
- Auto-play: A feature that assigns a set number of automatic spins.
- Bankroll: The total amount of credit you have for a gaming session.
- Bonus rounds: Side-games that are triggered through matching certain symbols.
- Coins: Select coin values and then the number of coins to play with.
- Gamble: Let’s you risk winnings to gain more by drawing cards.
- Jackpot: The maximum possible value that can be won.
- Line bet: The amount currently staked on each payline.
- Mini game: A bonus feature offering a separate game screen.
- Multipliers: The number of times that a line bet will be multiplied by.
- Paylines: The lines on which players have to match symbols to snag winnings.
- Paytable: Where players can browse a slot’s in-depth rules and info.
- Progressive jackpot: An additional jackpot created from pooling a percentage of multiple player wagers.
- Reels: The vertical columns that hold the symbols.
- Re-spin: When select reels and symbols are held in place for one more spin.
- Rows: The horizontal rows going across the slot interface.
- RTP: Return to player is the percentage of winnings over a long period of time.
- Puggy: Slang term to describe older slot machine designs.
- Scatters: A common type of symbol used to trigger bonus features.
- Slot races: Rapidly played tournaments where players are asked to earn more points than their competitors.
- Stacked wilds: The layering of wild symbols to cover more than one position.
- Symbols: The visual images that create winnings through forming matches.
- Variance: Determines how often and how much a slot pays out (low to high).
- Wager: The amount of credit staked for each spin.
- Ways to win: An alternative system to paylines where you match symbols in adjacent reels instead of over exact lines.
- Wilds: These symbols fill the gaps of missing symbols.
What Are the Types of Slots Available Online?
Slots offer a wonderful sense of variety that allows for you to stick with the games that best align with your desires. Read through the following slot types and you will probably recognise some of them.
The best examples of flat-top slots are the old slot machines found in bars. You can also play these online, and they are recognisable for their lack of significant special features and paylines. A typical flat-top slot could have three reels, one payline, and no bonus features.
These have most certainly not been forgotten, with casinos still running classic-style slot games that look like the retro machines of old. Graphics have been sharpened and looks have been updated, but these are now ready to thrive in the present.
An evolution on the classic slots of the past, video slots include digitised graphics completed with animations and an extremely sharp feel. The look of these slots has most certainly been designed for the high-end smartphones and tablets of today.
Slots of this variety are best defined as having an even greater number of paylines than are typically found in most games. The top end of the normal slots would usually be 25 paylines. So, anything more than that would fit the larger bill of being multiline slots.
Video slots have gone even further to the point where the graphics are capable of rendering 3D characters against stunning backgrounds. One day, there will be 3D slots in virtual reality, but you do have plenty of these games to enjoy at standard casino sites in the present day.
Some players are always going to be drawn to the slots that make the promise of paying out even larger sums of winnings. And few games out there can compete with the sheer scale and potential of progressive jackpot slots. In some cases, you will find progressive rising through six, seven, and even eight figures.
Can I Play Slots for Free?
Why yes, you certainly can play slot games for free. The best online slot sites often give you ways in which to save your pennies and game on them. Look for the following options:
- No deposit slots: When you claim a no deposit bonus, this will give you funds that can be used for online slots. Some select titles might not be compatible with the funds, but generally you should have plenty to explore.
- Free spins: This is another form of bonus that can help you play for free. At times, you can obtain free spins with no deposit necessary, while, at others, you will get them as an enhancement for depositing.
- Demo mode: In this case, you are playing the slots without real-money wagering. As such, you are not entitled to any of the winnings that register. No deposit slots and free spins are bonuses, so you can win with those. However, demo mode is strictly for trying games and learning more about them.
Which Are the Top Slots Software Providers?
There is no single software provider that dominates the creation of slot games. Rather, there is a broad spectrum of providers developing and distributing the top games. In our experience, these are some of the leading names out there:
NetEnt was an early pioneering in making software for online casinos. The company set out in 1996 and eventually powered its first casino site in the early-200s. Years later, NetEnt has excelled in driving forward the development of slots, having innovated through, mobile, graphics, and special features.
Microgaming also began developing casino software in the mid-1990s, and even claims to have made the first-ever real-money game in 1998. In terms of image, Microgaming slots are noted for combining original creations with hit entertainment properties, such as Game of Thrones, Jurassic Park, and Terminator.
The Playtech company opened a little later in 1999, but was still active in time to be ready for the birth of the online casino industry. Playtech develops an array of online gambling software, but the company does provide slots through its casino division. As a whole, Playtech slots are generally at their best when made based on entertainment properties.
This humble English company began life in 2001 as a slot machine maker, before later switching over to creating mobile casino games by 2006. Intouch Gaming is impressive because the company makes exclusive mobile slots for each of its own casino brands. This approach is highly uncommon in the industry.
Slot games promise the highest level of diversity and you can get much more out of them with this guide – take a look at our guide to new slots 2019!